Conditional Registration Explained

What is Conditional Registration?

Queensland Laws state that all vehicles must have compulsory third party insurance to be driven on Queensland Roads. Usually this is apart of your registration that is paid every year to the Queensland Transport and Main Roads when you renew your registration.

Queensland law defines a “road” as:

  • Shopping Centre Car Parks
  • Railway Crossings
  • Areas that are open to the public to use as a road
  • Road related areas
  • Footpaths and nature strips

On the 1st May 2003 it become illegal to drive a vehicle that was not classified as a Standard Vehicle on Queensland Roads without a Conditional Registration.

Some of the vehicles that would be required to have a conditional registration are:

  • Forklifts
  • Tractors
  • Graders
  • Harvesters
  • Two, three or four wheeled recreational vehicles.

Vehicles that are loading containers at Brisbane Ports will have different conditions than a Forklift that is moving boats at Coomera on the Gold Coast.

Not only because of the location but for the purpose of use as well as how populated the roadway is.

The main reason behind the requirement is to protect the public who are using the same roadways. The vehicle must have compulsory third party insurance to cover the driver in the event of an accident that causes personal injury.

Compulsory Third Party Insurance does not cover property damage. If you have an accident and damage someone’s home, you will be personally liable for this if you don’t have proper insurance coverage. Contact your insurance company to take out Third Party Insurance or Full Comprehensive Insurance. Always read the fine print and ask lots of questions about what your insurance policy actually covers because they do vary between companies.

There are different levels of conditional registrations when it comes to road access.

Limited Access Registration:

Restricted to worksites and designated areas

Zone Access Registration:

Depending on areas of operation, the travel distance allowed can be categorised as 20 kilometres, 40 kilometres or 80 kilometres.

Unrestricted Access Registration:

There is no limit to the distance that is travelled for a vehicle with this registration but there may be a restriction on the hours of operation.

Do I need a Safety Certificate for a Conditional Registration?

No. There are no vehicle inspections required or Safety Certificates previously known as a Roadworthy Certificate. The registered vehicle operator is required to complete a declaration on the application form to verify that the vehicle complies with the vehicle standards of construction for conditionally registered vehicles.

The Application Form Link is:

To be able to fill in your application form correctly you will need to download the following document to understand the Conditions of Use codes of restrictions and what is applicable to the vehicle that you are requiring a Conditional Registration for.

Guideline for conditionally registered vehicles, form 17 (PDF, 217 KB)

These codes cover a range of restrictions such as these examples:

  • Towing limitations
  • Escort Requirements
  • Restrictions to Designated areas or route
  • Restricted to loading and unloading tasks


This also covers in the same document about the

  •  Ownership limitations
  • Size and weight limitations
  • Signs and Lights
  • Speed Limits
  • Time of Day

Is it most important that all operational staff of the Conditionally Registered vehicle is fully aware of the restrictions and abide by the guidelines set by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

It is recommended to have a copy of the restrictions laminated with the vehicle at all times.

0/5 (0 Reviews)