HVRAS - Measure up

For Trailers, Motorhomes and Trucks


It can be confusing on when you require a HVRAS. 

So, here is the basic run down on all you need to know when it comes to HVRAS inspections.

What is a HVRAS?

HVRAS stands for Heavy Vehicle Regulation Assessment Scheme.

So what does that really mean? 

It is a measure up and weight calculation of trailers and trucks before they are registered in Queensland.

You will need to take the HVRAS along with your Safety Certificate/Certificate of Inspection to register the vehicle.

How do I know if I need a HVRAS?

Due to trailers coming in all shapes and sizes, working out if you need a HVRAS can be tricky.

Here are some of the questions you will be asked to determine if a HVRAS is required.

For instance:

  • Has your trailer or truck been unregistered for more than 3 months?
  • Is your trailer/truck currently registered in another state?
  • Does your trailer have an ATM (Aggregated Trailer Mass) over 750kg?


If you answer yes to any of the questions above, you most likely require a HVRAS.

What happens if my trailer is brand new?

You will need to have the following BEFORE booking your inspection.



  1. Compliance plate engraved with trailer details – VIN, ATM, TARE (Weigh bridge Certificate) and Build Date.
  2. Compliance plate attached to trailer chassis
  3. VIN number stamped into trailer chassis



Fully assembled imported trailers are required to have their HVRAS inspections completed by Queensland Transport and Main Roads.

However, if trailer parts are imported into Australia but are assembled in Australia, our team can complete the HVRAS.


IMPORTANT NOTE: Low Volume Trailer VIN's

Queensland Transport and Main Roads needs to identify your trailer if you have been issued a low volume VIN.

So, how can you tell if your trailer is affected?

If your VIN for instance starts with 6T9T and also has AAB in it then you are required to take that trailer for inspection.

0/5 (0 Reviews)